Monday, April 24, 2006
When I first seen this recipe from my recipe book. I was wondering how is the taste, can a black sesame and cheese a match? I want to find out the answer, therefore I make it.
Sponge Cake Ingredients
200g Sponge Mix
1 teaspoon vanila powder
40ml Coocking Oil
250g Cream Cheese
15g Black Sesame, toasted and ground
1 1/2 teaspoons Gelatine
60g Warm water
160g Whip topping cream, whipped
Steps to bake the sponge cake base
- Pour (A) into mixer, and mix well.
- Beat the mixture until creamy and flufty.
- Add (B) slowly and mix well.
- Pour into 9" square mould. Bake at 180 ºC for 35 minutes.
- Invert cake into a wire tray for 5 minutes. Then turn over to prevent cake from sinking in the middle.
Steps to make cheesecake topping
- Beat (C) until light and smooth.
- Bring (D) to the boil. Pour it into (E) slowly. Stir until well blended. Cook over low heat while stirring constantly. cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Mix (F), Stir until gelatine dissolves. Add it into the sesame and egg mixture and mix until well blended.
- Place it in an iced water bath. Stir until the temperature drops down to 25 ºC.
- Add it to (C) and mix well combined.
- Fold in (G) and mix until well blended.
- Fill the cake mould with cheese filling.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours or until firm.
- Remove the cake mould. Spread some glazing gel on top.
- Cut into small pieces, decrorate with cream rosettes and mints leave. Try to avoid "ready to whip" whipped cream, otherwise will end up like mine, the whip cream melted before I can take a good shot.
eatinout: The taste is ok, black sesame and cheesecake is not a good match.
GY: ...The milk taste is strong...
SJ: The cheese topping and sponge base have very clear distinct taste.
PW: I can't find the cheese flavor at all.
TY: Very Chinese.
My comment: Toasted black sesame seeds has very strong nutty flavour, it gave off the fragant odor once it's grinded. I relate this to black sesame paste (黑芝麻糊, a Chinese dessert) when smelling. Well, this is something new to me, I've very complex feeling on my first bite too, it taste good after all, and I ate 2 slices immediately.
If you love cheesecake because of the strong cheese taste ( like American or Marble cheesecake), then you may not like this. The sesame flavour and milk taste (due to milk and whip cream) are stronger than cream cheese, therefore it will not give you strong cheese flavour.
Do you wonder how does a black sesame cheesecake taste?
Technorati Tags: Cheesecake